- I give up

I give up

General discussions related to A.A. History.

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:03 am

Let's not get too critical of the churches!
They provide lots of meeting rooms for Alkies. :lol: :lol:

And, we stole a lot of their stuff and put it in our book! :lol: :lol:

One day I got to thinking... Imagine that!

I was thinking that if I continued judging the church folk...

I might end up as a puke in the pew! :lol: :lol:

Showered with blessings! And, one of them was... I did get to shower today and I probably didn't need one! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:02 am

Dallas wrote:Let's not get too critical of the churches!
They provide lots of meeting rooms for Alkies. :lol: :lol:
Dallas

There are some in AA whose whole recovery career is about bashing churches. It gets wearisome.

Pastors in our church have embraced AA, spoken lovingly about it in sermons, provided meeting space for AA and encouraged parishioners who needed help to go to AA.

In AA, in the church, in life, I've discovered that if I focus on principles rather than personalities, I'm more likely to be a happier camper.
Tim

Postby sunlight » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:49 am

Silly people! I was being factitious! Guess I need to clarify things better. Maybe we need a "tongue in cheek" emoticon. Sorry if I offended anyone. :oops:
I DO welcome opposing viewpoints, though. They cause me to check what I really believe.

I am an active church member. I get a lot of flack from people in the fellowship who know. I'm supposed to be more "enlightened" than that!When I was drinking, I used to get up in front of the congregation & read from the Bible drunk. People would tell me what a great job I did, so there was nothing wrong with ME!

Now, as part of my living amends, I do it sober. :D

My point was, that I can find fault with anything & think I'm "better than" & that's a dangerous place for me to be.

Just went on an AA retreat headed by an alcoholic priest. Undescribable!

Please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding.

HJ&F, sunlight
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Silly Sunlight wrote:Silly people! I was being factitious! Guess I need to clarify things better. Maybe we need a "tongue in cheek" emoticon. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Silly girl!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You didn't offend anyone. We know what you meant. And, no explanation or clarification is necessary. It's the super-sensitivities that would make you think that (if you have any of those). :wink:

It's probably not appropriate here for me to write it -- but, what's new? When and how often have I been appropriate? :lol: :lol:

I've noticed that it's not just AA's that get crazy over Jesus or Churches.... So, it's not really an A-n-A-er thing.

On most TV stations... it seems the popular idea must be to bash anything Christian or having to do with Jesus or Christian churches.

Regardless, if it's A-n-A-ers or folks out in the populist world of politically correctness... it's not okay to bash other religions... or other Gods.

People even accept light bulbs, washing machines and door knobs... as nothing to bash. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it has to do with peacefulness. Society has seemed to often accept that it's peaceful-people are weak and it's okay to bash them because they won't cut your throat for it. :lol: :lol:

It's kind of like people that kick their cats and their dogs... they do it because they get away with it... and the dog doesn't bite them.

Just my 45 cents of nonsense. Don't take me or what I've said too seriously... :lol: :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:45 pm

:D

I had a prospect that had Tinkerbell as her higher power.

But, Tink didn't have ALL power, and Captain Hook & the crocodile got her, & Jim Beam got my prospect.

I think it's true about peaceable people, but don't let them fool you! Underneath many a mild-mannered, Clark Kent exterior lies a person who has conscious contact with the One Who has ALL power.

I like the title of this topic: "I give up". Isn't that how we all began? :P
sunlight

Postby tj » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:52 pm

Whoa--there are some awfully big words being thrown around here. I am going to have to start keeping a dictionary handy when I read Sunlight's posts!!! :?

I had to work on a resentment that I had against my church with my Sponsor a few months ago. It is amazing to me how this alcoholic wants to cut and run as soon as things don't go my way. Am I ever glad that I haven't actually run as many times as I've wanted to and I'm especially glad that I finally quit running away from God. I am like you, Sunlight. When I was drinking, I would read a lesson from the Bible during a service so hungover I could barely move and then think I had done something great. I guess we can't do better until we know better. And you're right, Sunlight, when I gave up, it was just the beginning!!

Manette
tj

Postby Dallas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:25 am

Sunlight wrote:I like the title of this topic: "I give up". Isn't that how we all began?

It was the only way I got here... and it's still the only way I can stay here! :lol: :lol:

For me... Giving Up... is much better than Gowing Down! :lol: :lol:

In Giving Up... I'm reaching for Higher Ground... unless I'm giving up on Giving Up! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Susan68 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:46 pm

[quote="MitchellK"][quote="sunlight"]Another assumption I get from people in AA is that, if I don’t live in fear of picking up my next drink or that my “diseaseâ€
Susan68

Postby Susan68 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:53 pm

MitchellK wrote:Sponsorship in early AA is not like the co-dependent relationship of sponsor/sponsee today.

Although I am kind of wondering if this isn't true just a little. I was told, don't even attempt to make amends until you've gone over it with a sponsor. I'm just not on board with this. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I figure I'll pray on it when the time comes. My biggest problem on that score is going to be my propensity to find reasons why I needn't make that direct amends rather than causing harm by making an amends. Anyway, hope Mitchell is doing well. :)
Susan68

Postby Susan68 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:44 pm

[quote="MitchellK"]Another assumption I get from people in AA is that, if I don’t live in fear of picking up my next drink or that my “diseaseâ€
Susan68

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. History