- Why study AA history?

Why study AA history?

General discussions related to A.A. History.

My current experience, strength and hope with b2b

Postby RD1angel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:38 pm

I have heard of some back to basic formats failing, and I, of course wasn't there so I can not really understand why. It has been my experience that when beginning the first of the four sessions, I like to initially make it clear that all someone needs for the sessions are the big book and pen or pencil if one desires to write any comments. Explaining that the B2B sessions are nothing more than a big book study.

So why not just stick with the BB? We do, some go through the Joe and Charlie tapes, other BB study workshops and the 12 x 12 study guide. That is all B2B is..... another BB study workshop/format. Some like some don't, whatever works.
RD1angel

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:34 pm

The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. The 12 Steps are the foundation of the AA program.

I don't think it matters that one does the steps in a day or a weekend or does exactly what Dr Bob or Bill W. or an other alcoholic did. The primary thing is to actually take the 12 steps.

If someone is dying of thirst, it doesn't much matter whether they get Perrier or tap water. They just need water, period!

The principles of the 12 Steps are what count, not what the individual personalities did.

For what it's worth, I think it is important to have newer stories in the Big Book alongside the stories of the AA pioneers.
Tim

Postby GeoffS » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:53 pm

I'd agree if it were newer stories and not stories about newer programs.
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:35 am

I'd agree if it were newer stories and not stories about newer programs.

You expressed my thoughts in very few words -- and your spelling is better than mine! Where do I sign up? :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:03 am

Message content deleted by poster in the spirit of "Love and tolerance of others is our code." (p. 84 Alcoholics Anonymous)
Tim

Postby DiggerinVA » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:06 am

Well this is an interesting thread. One which I really have personal view on.

The B2B is just a way to take a newcomer through the steps in 4 1 hour sessions. Which was how it was done at one time, in meetings. If it is done the way it was in the Big Book the newcomer was worked just as soon as they become lucid. That is when the steps were laid out. Then they were done.

What is going on now is a group gathering that lets drunks come and go. Some get help some don't, heck it is almost the luck of the draw.

The amazing thing to me is the Rehab centers send their patients to the meetings (what are they being paid for) as well those who are court ordered. Now add to those the Skaters and it is no wonder a poor drunk has a hard time figuring it out and finding help.

Now personal stories really don't belong here but I think a little of mine may be in order. I will keep it real short.

2006 I got to attend by invitation of the State, a complete waste of time, since I was not ready. Two years ago I opened and started reading a 1st edition Big Book. It began with a note from my Grandmother to my father on his 16th birthday. I made it to page 23 when I knew the only way out of my situation was through God, Step 3 was complete. Now when I came to the rooms I found this, well I really don't know the word for it. But I can tell you it was not what AA was. My Grandmother went on vacations and never needed to go to a meeting. God was her guide.

Now the book "How To Listen to God" has the answers and the fill ins I needed.
DiggerinVA

Postby Dallas » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:46 am

Thanks Digger!
Personal stories are always welcomed here!

Your story and your experience brought to my mind an idea that I've come to believe... "God doesn't make a bunch of too-difficult terms -- for those that desire to reach out for His help!"

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to A. A. History