- GETTING THEM SOBER?

GETTING THEM SOBER?

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

GETTING THEM SOBER?

Postby ROBERT » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:19 am

I WAS AT A MEETING,LISTENING TO A TOPIC-THERE SEEM TO BE SOME TALK ABOUT HOW SOME NEWCOMERS DID NOT HAVE AN INTEREST IN A PSYCHIC CHANGE-AND HOW THIS WAS A PROBLEM FOR THE SPONSER-AS IF WE HAVE THE POWER TO GET SOMEONE SOBER-MY POSITION IS AS THE B.B. DESCRIBES IN "WORKING WITH OTHERS" I AM TO SHOW HOW THIS WORKED FOR ME...PERIOD,THE KIT OF TOOLS CAN BE PICKED UP IF THEY CHOOSE,PERIOD-I WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME FEEDBACK FROM SOME MORE EXPERIENCED,RECOVERED ALKIS ON THIS.I FEEL CERTAIN THAT IT IS NOT MY JOB OR RESPONSIBILITY TO GET ANY ONE SOBER,NOT TO MENTION I DON'T HAVE THE POWER TO DO SO,NO MATTER HOW MUCH I MAY FEEL EMPATHY & COMPASSION FOR SOME ONE! AM I ON TRACK ....FEELING VULNERABLE RIGHT NOW!
ROBERT

Postby Jools » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Its been my experience that no one gets ME sober. It's only thru Gods grace and the actions I do that I've gotten sober.

Can't get um sober and ya shore as heck can't get um drunk!
Jools

Postby sunlight » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:07 am

Me get anyone sober, let alone a psychic change???

Heck, I couldn't even get myself sober, & who wants to change any way? "I'm fine, I just drink too much." :roll:

But, the doctor's opinion tells us that without an ENTIRE psychic change, there is very little hope of recovery. Maybe it'd be a good thing to pay attention?

Can't recall how much time I had when a very old-timer told me, "You give me hope that there really is such a thing as a psychic change." I had no idea what he was talking about. I did know that at the 7th step I felt like I was falling apart. Sharing about this, & the assurance of others that it would pass, helped me hang in there.

The doctor's opinion also says that something more than human power is needed to produce the essential psychic change. So, even though I need to do the work & take the actions (cooperate!), it's God's job. What a relief!

The change came for me as a result of the steps. It happened without me realizing it, until I was surprised at my behavior one day (for the better!)

What changed? Selfishness, primarily. I threw myself into service work from day one & encourage others to do the same. And in the morning I ask how I may best serve that day.

Honesty, open mindedness & willingness are the essentials, and it just happens. But, I need to be willing to go to any lengths & not cop out when it gets too lengthy!

So they're not interested in a psychic change?
Take the steps & it'll show up, like Ed McMahon with the publisher's clearinghouse winnings.

That's how it is for me. The paradox & balance of - my work/God's work, grace & guts. :wink:
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:45 pm

We can help them to achieve and maintain sobriety.
We can help them to achieve a psychic change.
We can help them to recover...

IF... we have achieved and are maintaining sobriety...
Experienced a psychic change...
And, we are recovering.

If we couldn't do that -- we might as well give up on our primary purpose.

Sobriety is not so much a gift from God, as it is a hard won achievement -- using the tools that God has provided to us.

We are able to help them -- when others can't.

We can help them hit bottom.

We can also help them reach for Higher Ground.

We can lead them to the Promised Land... Provided that we have reached the Promised Land, ourselves.

We can help them by guiding their steps... but we can't take their Steps for them.

The tools were presented to us.

We learned to use the tools -- through the help of each other -- that had learned to use the tools. But, we can't make them use the tools.

Sobriety and recovery is their respnsibility. We can show them the way that we achieved this... provided that we have achieved this -- and they are willing to listen, to learn, and to do.

We have no monopoly on sobriety and recovery.

They may decide to choose a different way. If they do -- we should not waste our time on them -- because to waste our time on them -- is to deny another suffering alcoholic that desires our help. Our time and our experience is the most valuable thing that we have to offer. If they want "what we have" and are willing to go to any lengths to "have what it is that we have"... they can have it, if they do as we have done. If they don't want to do it as we have done it -- let them go -- so they can continue their search for a different way.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics