- >>>>PROCRASTINATION<<<<<

>>>>PROCRASTINATION<<<<<

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

>>>>PROCRASTINATION<<<<<

Postby ROBERT » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:26 pm

IT'S AN INTERESTING,BAFFLING EXPERIENCE TO WITNESS,AS I AM,THIS TAKE PLACE IN SOMEONES LIFE. A NEWCOMER THAT I SPONSER WILL HABITUALLY PUT THINGS OFF,OR FLAT OUT WILL NOT DO THINGS SUGGESTED,AS THIS UNFOLDED I SUGGESTED HE SHARE THIS IN MEETINGS,HIS PROCRASTINATION OF THE VERY THINGS THAT WILL SAVE HIS LIFE,HE DID CAUTIOUSLY,BUT DID PROCEED,AFTER 3-5 MEETINGS OF SHARING HE PROCLAIMES TO SEE THE DANGERS OF THIS BEHAVIOR NOT TO REPEAT IT.....GUESS WHAT? YEA BACK TO IT.....WELL IT'S INTERESTING,YET VERY HELPFUL TO ME..I'VE LOOKED AT AREAS WHERE I WAS DOING THE SAME BEHAVIOR, & MADE SOME ADJUSTMENTS.ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCES ANY ONE???
ROBERT

Re: >>>>PROCRASTINATION<<<<<

Postby GeoffS » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi Robert, another interesting topic.

I'll tell you about my experiences around procrastination sometime later... :lol:
GeoffS

Postby ROBERT » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:33 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:51 pm

Ditto, Robert!

I'll get back to you later on this!

I intended to think about what I thought about procrastination...
as soon as I get around to thinking about it!

Thinking..... and unaware of my thinking... usually when I'm lazy seems to be near the root of my procrastination.

Thinking... Thoughts produce chemicals in the brain in addition to the bio-chemical composition of the thought.

Sometimes, procrastination (in my case)... was a necessary component in my pathology of creating adrenalin rushes.

Example: I would put-off doing a certain task until the task became a problem. And, I would procrastinate dealing with the problem until it became a crisis. I called my little Life Game "General Custer's Last Stand!"... I would wait until the odds of succeeding in solving a problem or completing a task until the problem was big enough for "The General to handle". (In this case me = the General).

1. The crisis would produce the adrenalin rush.
2. The problem would get me scalped... (a subconscious need for punishment?).
3. The odds of me being successful at solving the problem or completing the task would be overwhelming! (a fulfillment of self-talk self-prophesy... that manifests itself... "You see... I'm really a failure!" ).

Sound kind of nutty?

Imagine what it would do to insure that I had a low self-esteem and a poor self-image!!!

Sad... and unfortunately true.

Pain is the greatest motivator for me to deal with my own procrastination.

Becoming aware of my lil' Life Game... I was able to Inventory it and use the tools provided in the 12 Steps to get better at not playing the game.

Sound like a long-drawn-out analytical exercise of the brain? Well... that to me... is the root of my procrastination. A pattern of living life as a result of a problem that centers in the mind... that is best treated by taking actions rather than thinking about it!!!

Dallas

P.S. Keep those topics coming Robert! They help me and I appreciate them.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:23 pm

I've had problems myself with procrastination in recovery. Here are a few table scraps from me about this timely topic.

Procrastination may relate to my desire to havea problem-free life where all my needs will be met without effort on my part. I ignore something and don't address what I need to do, but instead use delaying tactics, hoping the task will disappear. It doesn't.

Sometimes I procrastinate to create a crisis in order to provide me with the energy to get things done.

If I have remembered to again turn my will and life over to the care of God, I seem to be able to better avoid procrastination.

'First things first' and 'One day at a time' are useful slogans for me to use to start a task that needs to be done. The hardest part of a task can be to begin it.

Sometimes it helps me to avoid being overwhelmed with a task by breaking it into smaller portions and working on those.

As another poster suggested, thinking too much rather than taking action can be a problem. Some have called this analysis paralysis.
Tim

Postby sunlight » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:31 am

"Get 'er done!" :lol:

Being of the perfectionist defect , I'm not much of a procrastinator. And I've gotten much better at not packing for a trip 2 weeks in advance!

I had to learn patience & tolerance for those who DO keep putting it off, or not doing it at all.

My thinking is, "It needs to be done, so why not do it?" or, "You said you would do it, so why aren't you?"
(Of course, I've been in the place where thinking about it was doing it!) :roll:

With sponsees I try to be as helpful as possible, especially if they're very foggy & have trouble remembering things. I tell them all my helpful hints, little tips & tricks, & get them a daily planner. But I can't do it for them & if they still procrastinate, it's goodnight Vienna. (Love that Geoff!)

With others, I ask them to please consult Miss Manners about saying you will do something & not keeping your word.

My home group's name is "Just Do It". Just do it, or ask for help, or say you don't want to or can't. No explanation, excuse or drama is necessary.

(I like the story of the father who had two sons, & he asked them to work in his vineyard. The first son said he would, but he never went. The second son refused, but later changed his mind & went to work. The question was asked - which one was the father pleased with?)

Didn't know about the adrenalin rush of procrastination!
Man, kicks just keep getting harder to find! :lol:
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:00 am

Sunlight wrote:With sponsees I try to be as helpful as possible, especially if they're very foggy & have trouble remembering things. I tell them all my helpful hints, little tips & tricks, & get them a daily planner. But I can't do it for them & if they still procrastinate, it's goodnight Vienna. (Love that Geoff!)

Yep. And, I guess that's the focus of Robert's topic... sponsees and procrastination. I guess I've been so well trained to talk about my own character defects... that I skipped the part about sponsees. :lol:

I most often forget that I've ever had any problems myself with procrastination... when I think in terms of sponsees and newcomers procrastinating! :lol:

Sometimes, it's almost like trying to get a mummy to do something like follow a suggestion! "Did you do your 'To-Do List' today?" ; "How about your gratitude list?" "Oh... I see... you're such a busy individual that you have no time for prayer & meditation!" "Where were you? Why didn't you show up?" "I thought you were the GSR for the group... and you didn't go to the Area Assembly?" :lol:

"You were too tired to go to the meeting? I hope you're not too tired when it comes to not taking that next first drink!" :wink:

Perhaps, it used to bother me so much to see their procrastination in doing the important things... like the little details... because I know from my own personal experience of how fragile new-found sobriety... or even long-time sobriety can be threatened and at risk by not living the "Do it now! First things first! And, Just do it" routine of living. Now, I try to not let it bother me and accept it as the normal routine for many folks.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:58 am

what some awesome stuff..... a thought i'd like to share is i'm learning to ask myself DIFFERENT questions, some times the excuses for not taking action seems reasonable,makes alot of sense--- but the question.."IS THERE ANY REAL VALUE IN THIS THINKING?" changes my perception to a healthier more realistic view...this works well in many situations. keepin it simple......
ROBERT

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:41 pm

I've discovered that rather than take responsibility for my own procrastination, I begin to blame others and shift responsibility. Step 10 and a spot inventory are useful tools to point out this counterfeit ploy to me.
Tim

Postby GeoffS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:01 pm

nup! still can't be bothered...
GeoffS

Next

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics