- Greetings from Minnesota, Birthplace of 12 Step Treatment!

Greetings from Minnesota, Birthplace of 12 Step Treatment!

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

Greetings from Minnesota, Birthplace of 12 Step Treatment!

Postby Anja » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi, All. My name is Anja and I'm an alcoholic.

This is the first time that I've joined an on-line group and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better.

I'm here to share my courage, strength and hope, to gain knowledge of how it works for you and to have a spot to pick up a little extra support for those times when a meeting isn't handy or the sponsor is busy.

At present I attend two regular meetings a week and have a dynamite sponsor with a good chunk of solid sobriety. And just this week I made plans for my mother to enter hospice.

So, I'm taking out insurance and think this will be another good resource for staying balanced as I walk through the next life task!

Glad to be here.
Anja

Postby sunlight » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Welcome Anja! :D

Glad you could join us. This is a good place to talk about whatever is on your mind and in your heart.

For me, the best part about sobriety is that we don't do it alone!
sunlight

Postby Anja » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi, Sunshine. And thanks for the greeting.

Hope you're having some sunshine out there. A friend just got back from a quick trip to Denver.

I once lived in Aurora for a few months but it's been a while since I've been back. My husband was doing a practicum in the Cherry Creek school district.
Anja

Postby sunlight » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:54 pm

Actually, we had snow today! It never lasts long & even though there was about 4 inches, with Denver being a mile closer to the sun, it's mostly melted. Good for the flowers! :D

Tell us about the "birthplace of the 12 step treatment".
sunlight

Postby ccs » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:12 am

WELCOME!!! Anja :D

Sun is right this is a great place to come and share whats on your mind & be inspired&encouraged by others its also nice to have another girl!!! around here ( no offense guys you know I luv ya :lol: )

I look forward to hearing more from you & getting to know you aswell

thanks for being here keep coming back :D

LUV-2-ALL
Cessie
ccs

Postby Anja » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:42 am

Dusting off my memory here.

I believe AA came to MN via Chicago. IIRC the first Twelve Step tx center was Hazelden in Center City. It was on the site of a lovely little lake and was named for a cabin where a woman named Hazel went to get away from her husband for a little alone time. So - Hazel's den. I think one of the Veterans centers began using them about the same time in the fifties.

When I went to treatment in 1981 my Fifth Step was heard by a man who was one of the pioneers in the AA movement in MN.

My own AA group here in Mankato had some of the first AA women in MN in it. They were really strong women and their stories continue to inspire me.

I can't remember how it came about but a group of people had the idea to incorporate the Twelve Steps into a recovery program and called it The MN Model.

In the Eighties the idea really boomed and people around the country were clamoring for Minnesotans to come to their states and show them how to use the Twelve Steps.

Since then I think many treatment centers still use the steps but the focus has been on a much broader approach.

Bottom line for me has been that the spiritual, psychological, medical, family counseling is all good, but it's the Steps that got and keep me sober.
Anja

Postby garden variety » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi Anja,

Glad to see your words of hope. This is a fun and helpful lil' ol' online meeting place.

My best to you...life is short and we got a second chance. That is one heck of a blessing. The wonderful thing is that I can help that second chance blossom into a miracle as I keep on taking unselfish constructive action.

Enjoy your day, today. Live, love, and laugh!

God bless,
Paul
garden variety

Postby Jools » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:40 pm

Hiya Anja,

Welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to getting to know you as you share your experience, strength, and hope with us.

Sincerely,
Julie
Jools

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Welcom Anja!!! Great to have you here!!! I'm looking forward to getting to know you also, and to experience the Fellowship with you.

MN... 12 Steps treatment in MN... Hazeldon... AA in Canada... and it's historical roots are a very inspiring story of what can happen when one alcoholic grabs hold of AA -- and begins to share it with others. And, what can happen during calamity and storms... when two alcoholics reach out to try to help another alcoholic. It's a great piece of AA history.

If you know the story of how it all came about this will be a great place to share the story! I'm sure that we will all enjoy it and be inspired by it.

Dallas

PS: I understand the experience of being a caregiver to a parent. My heart is with you and your family. Sometimes, it can be a difficult path to tread.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Anja » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks, All, for the warm welcome. That's one of the things I love about AA. Anywhere you go, you can walk in and have friends!

I've done and am doing everything I am able to make Mom's last chapter a good one. So I've got her tucked safe in the arms of my Higher Power and do have some sense of detachment. The plan isn't mine. I focus on gathering strength and balance to let HP's will work in me. It works.

There is sadness at the approaching loss and celebration of our years together. Just like it's supposed to be, right? Bittersweet.

Something which has made it easier for me is the fact that I've had losses of many people over the years and so I've had some practice at working through grief. And it's nice to know that grief, well accepted, won't destroy me. Just part of the job of living well.

And I've also learned that there is always a gift if I keep my eyes open to it. :wink:
Anja

Next

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories