- Entered Drunk, Exited Sober

Entered Drunk, Exited Sober

A discussion of topics related to relationships in recovery and treatment

Entered Drunk, Exited Sober

Postby llarosa16 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:04 pm

Has anyone ever been in a relationship where they were drunk when they got in it but then got sober and as you grew as a person, getting comfy in your own skin, you realized that you were not in love like you want and deserve to be? In fact you realized that yes you love this person very, very much, but you knew in the beginning that you weren't ready for yet another relationship but because of you inability to say NO, you entered it anyway and then 6 years pass and you have a 4 year old child now!

Any had any kind of expereince around this?
llarosa16

Postby Dallas » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 pm

llarosa16,

Welcome to the forum! Nice to hear from you.

I was drunk when I got in a few relationships -- and when I sobered up -- it was OMG!!! So... I just started drinking again... and repeat the cycle.

To top that one off... after I got sober for keeps ... I got in a relationship -- and when my emotions sobered up -- it was OMG!!! What have I done!

According to many people I've met -- regardless if they're AA or not -- they've woken up one morning and said... OMG!!! What have I done!

In AA, I've met those who stayed in the relationship and those that left it.

When I finally got AA sobriety -- my relationship was already gone so I didn't have to think about it. I think that made it easier on me. When I was newly sober -- it took all the energy that I could muster -- just to deal with my own stuff. If I had been in a relationship, I doubt that I could have stayed sober. But, that's me. Others seem to be just the opposite.

How long have you been sober?

Best wishes, and keep coming back! Hopefully, there will be someone here in the forum that has personal experience that more closely identifies with your situation and they can share their experience as they understood it for them. :wink:

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Relationships in Recovery