- May in AA History

May in AA History

General discussions related to A.A. History.

May in AA History

Postby GeoffS » Mon May 04, 2009 1:42 am

May 12, the Washingtonians held the first Martha Washington Society meeting for women and children in NY. They provided moral guidance and material support to sober up female drunks and assisted the wives and children of male drunks. This was the first temperance movement where women held leadership posts. The movement also lead to young peoples’ groups. Free blacks started separate Washingtonian societies

May, Bill W began officer’s training at Plattsburg, NY. After eight weeks of artillery training at Ft Monroe, VA, Bill was a second lieutenant in the 66th Artillery Corps and went to Ft Rodman outside of New Bedford, MA.

May, Bill W was discharged from the Army at Camp Devens.

May, Bill W replied to an advertisement in the NY Times and received an invite from Thomas Edison to go to his laboratory to take an employment test of 286 questions.

May, Lois experienced her third ectopic pregnancy that led to removal of her ovaries. Bill W was so drunk he did not go to the hospital.

May, Bill W went on a business trip to Bound Brook NJ with a group of Pathe Co. engineers to study a new photographic process. It went very wrong. In a hotel Bill drank Apple Jack (Jersey Lightning) and was drunk for 3 days. His contract with Wheeler and Winans was cancelled.

May, Lois’ father married “Joan Jones.â€
GeoffS

Postby sunlight » Mon May 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Thank you, Geoff!
You are such a gift to us! :D
Not only do we get to learn a lot, but (hopefully, if you're willing) have something new to look forward to each month.
And when the year is up, maybe we can do something to make AA history ourselves! Sounds like Debbie V is giving it a good shot! :wink: Go Deb! My prayers are with you.
sunlight

Postby DebbieV » Mon May 04, 2009 10:52 pm

Great stuff Geoff, Thank you so much.

My sponsor put love of AA history in my head, when not much else would sink in, when I was new to the program. I sat for hours in coffee shops all over Fort Smith, Arkansas, listening to what you have been talking about in your post. I believe it is one of the things that kept me sober.

I hope you keep them coming.

Debbie
Last edited by DebbieV on Tue May 05, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Tue May 05, 2009 12:24 am

Thanks Geoff, I appreciate your time and effort to share this valuable history with us. Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. History