- Your opinion is requested

Your opinion is requested

Step 11: Prayer & Meditation

Your opinion is requested

Postby tim-one » Sun May 31, 2009 12:57 pm

Friends,

All newcomers are told that faith in a Higher Power they understand is of utmost importance. I am convinced that it is of paramount import. It is written that sobriety is very near impossible without an HP.

Yet there seems to be a great reluctance among us to help with the search for fear of being too persuasive in one direction or another.

I have a desire to be helpful to those who have trouble finding their Higher Power. I don't care who or what that Power is and I am not inclined to promote mine to a suffering, conflicted mind. Only to help think it through. I am unshakeably convinced of mine, but I am not jealous or zealous in AA context.

I am asking for your opinions regarding another forum here; Something like "Finding your Higher Power" wherein we can discuss the thought processes we struggled with to break through our own resistance. It's a personal, very individual struggle (An internal "Holy War", if you will). I imagine many of us went through different, yet fairly common considerations.

Question:
1. Do you think such a forum would be helpful?
2. If not why not?
3. If so, please suggest forum rules that would make the forum more useful or that would limit misuse. Any concerns?

I can only guess it likely that everyone has an opinion about this.

If you have an opinion, but don't want it publicly shared, you can PM me. I promise your anonimity in this forum.

Thank you very much. God bless you one and all.

Love,
Tim-one

PS: I've posted this question in various forums. Please only respond in one forum to save site space. Or PM me. I'll keep my inbox cleared regularly. Thanks.
tim-one

Postby Then, and only then » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:21 am

Dear Tim-One,

I strongly believe such forum will be very helpful for me. HP only is the answer to solve all my problems. It is the matter of paramount importance in my survival.

Tonight, I lead the discussion with "Prayer and Meditation". I suggested we share how and what we pray. The discussion stayed on track for an half hour.

Then the talk went to what God is, what His will is, the topic was too deep, don't want to be a Guru, one day at a time, it is only our ego trying to figure God, don't shub Jesus down my throat, it is personal matter, you don't have to know... :x It was upsetting.

3 hours passed since the meeting. I still can not grasp some of the things I heard. I thought enabling us to find a power greater than ourselves to solve all our problem was the intention of the Big Book. And we are supposed to share our experiences. So I can learn. Why the HP is touchy subject? My stinking lives depends on it.

By looking at the date you posted and no response only prove it is a touchy subject. Maybe it is so personal that it needs to be shared by closed a few. I dunno.

I do not have unshakable conviction yet. I am searching and doubting minute by minute. Tonight's meeting make me divide the rooms into two, us and them. That can not be good for my sobriety. Soon I am bound to leave the room after the room searching for "us". Then, I am as good as dead.

I dunno what my opinion is on this matter. I don't know why I think there are only right and wrong. But I know I, no, no, I dunno. I dunno.
Then, and only then

Postby Dallas » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:56 pm

3 hours passed since the meeting. I still can not grasp some of the things I heard.

1. Keep it simple & first things first: :wink: The stuff you heard that complicated it in your brain is probably all none-sense anyway.

2. Keep it simple & just go back to meditating & praying in the way that is "however it works for you."

3. We're not like the meetings here... we do it faster! The Forum that Tim asked about got started moments after he posted the suggestion! You can find it here... in the forum... that's where the replies are. :wink:

My keep it simple formula is for me:
God's will is:
1. That I stay sober no matter what...
2. from the BB, pg 133: "We are sure God wants us to be
happy, joyous, and free."
3. What God wants = "God's Will"... and "God wants us to be happy, joyous and free."
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:06 pm

btw: Something else that I found helpful for me was in the Big Book, pg 46

"it was impossible for any of us to fully define or
comprehend that Power, which is God."

Us = "me and them". So, when I hear "them" telling me their uncomprehendable definitions of God, and trying to fully define God... I just consider them nuts. :lol:

My Big Book says "it's impossible" -- for "ANY OF US" to fully define -- or "comprehend" that Power -- which is God.

So... IF it's impossible to fully define or comprehend God... THEN, why should I even think about it???? :lol:

I only spend foolish time "thinking about" the things that "I am not doing" and the most important thing in my life is: what I am do-ing.

If God, is in the Present Moment -- and my objective is to DO God in the Present moment -- when I'm thinking about God, I'm missing out on Do-ing God in the moment.

The solution? Just stop thinking about it and "Do".......... what you'd do IF God were with you! It's simple. It's easy. It's fun. Let your prayers be "talking to Him right now while He is with you"... NOT some words that "you're sending up to God." Let your meditations be "Looking at your foot and seeing God's foot -- because it's God that is inside you!" And, if you gave it to Him -- He owns your foot! :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:27 am

Dearest Only Then,

Bless your heart. Really. That happens in group discussion. Wanna start a bar fight in a meeting? Lead with "God's will". Oh, brother ... :lol:

And bless my sober brother Dallas. Yea ... what he said ... it's in the stepwork that our HP is more revealed to us and, to the degree we work it, we become spiritually awake and aware. It says so in step 12, not steps 1, 2, or 3. Let the process work in the order it's laid out. It just works, that's all.

RELAX. Drop the debate. Let God be God.

I've got a few decades of drunken experience with my HP and I'm going to tell Him what to do and who to be? pfft. Time to change my experience and change my OWN mind. Not His or anyone else's. The steps change my mind about nearly everything.

The HP topic in this website was intended to point out he diversity of our God trips as we understand them, not to convince anyone else that ours are right or wrong. They all work just fine THROUGH THE STEPWORK.

Relax and do your own stepwork with your own understanding of God. A willing open mind is all it takes to get started. It's the steps that solidify or change that understanding ... not confusion through debate.

I paid more attention to the word CARE in step 3 instead of who God is and how He works. That's His job. The stepwork is mine. But that's just me and my HP as much as I can understand Him.

PS: Leading a meeting, one can calmly and kindly remind people to keep the talk in terms of "in MY experience, hope, and strength ... this is how it works FOR ME."

Love ya. Keep up the good work.
Tim
tim-one

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:49 am

Tim-One wrote:Relax and do your own stepwork with your own understanding of God. A willing open mind is all it takes to get started. It's the steps that solidify or change that understanding ... not confusion through debate.

Love it! Great suggestion.

Nice to see you Tim. I was wondering about you and hoping that you were doing well and that Life was treating you Good!

Thanks for stopping by. It's great to hear from you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sobriety Prayers