- The little voices in my head?

The little voices in my head?

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

The little voices in my head?

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:51 pm

Does God speak to you through little voices in your head?

A few months ago I got one of those drunken phone calls from a friend, who asked me "Does God ever speak to you?"

I asked him what he meant? He said "You know, like God speaks to you?"

I told him that I probably wouldn't recognize if it was God's voice or my own, so I don't remember God ever really saying anything to me.

He proceeded to tell me how God spoke to him, and said that he could hear God talking to him through God's voice in his head.

I asked him if God was speaking to him, why not ask God for the lotto numbers, or something useful! And, we laughed. But, he still insisted that God spoke to him and he could hear God's voice in his head.

Maybe God does speak to people. I wouldn't know because I've never heard His voice. I've heard my voice speaking to me in my head, and I really did believe that it was "God telling me something"... but I've learned that when I hear that voice... it's usually just my own voice, justifying something that I've been thinking or wanting. It has caused me lots of problems.

I often hear people say "God told me to do this... or God told me to do that." I wish I had that kind of direct line with God and I think it's great that other's seem to have it. I'm not one of them.

I also hear from AA members sometimes, who want my opinion about something regarding AA. My first question to them, is "Do you have a sponsor?" My next is "Have you asked your sponsor that question?"

Often, what's going on, is the person didn't like the first answer they got, and now they are seeking a second and third opinion... hoping they'll find someone who's answer is what they want to hear. And, I'm sure if we ask enough people, we will eventually hear what we want to hear... whether it's the right or wrong answer. I know. I did that myself when I was new to AA.

For some things in life, I'm very much pro "get as much information as you can get from all the qualified sources that you can get it, to reach what you hope will be an educated conclusion."

When it comes to AA, I'm just the opposite. And, in AA I do not consider myself as any sort of teacher, leader, or anything special in any way... I'm just another AA Member. That's our traditions.

When I have a question... I ask my sponsor. And, I don't go looking for second and third and fourth opinions. The answer that I get from my sponsor is the answer that God want's me to hear. That doesn't make my sponsor God. It just makes him the vessel that God uses to give me the answer to my question, and I trust that 1000 percent. It has never been wrong even once.

And, I'm a little extreme about that. If my sponsor said that my hair is green... even if I don't believe my hair is green... I would act as if my hair was green until I see it for myself. What would probably happen? A week or two later I might be painting something and have a can of green paint up on a ladder... I'd bump the ladder and the green paint would be in my hair. And, then, I'd remember, "Dang it, he's always right. I should have been watching more closely".

It's a long answer why I believe this way. So, I'll just keep it short and say that's how it works for me. :lol:

By the way... when I hear little voices or big voices in my head... I call my sponsor ASAP! Those voices can be very dangerous for me... and I know that I should NOT be listening to them. God, as I understand God, does not speak to ME through little voices in my head. If He did speak through little voices in my head... I wouldn't know when to tell if the voice is mine or Gods. And, I've got in lots of trouble before thinking it was God's voice instead of mine! If my sponsor couldn't help me get rid of the voices... he might have me go see a doctor about it.

I'm not saying that God doesn't speak to someone else that way. Usually, when a person that tells me that God speaks to them through the little voices... I prefer to change the subject. :lol:

Thanks for letting me share.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

RE: God Speak

Postby trinity » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:31 pm

Dallas, I really like your posts they're funny! I had a new comer said that God talks to him through his dead ancestors. He had quite an convincing arguement, but then I found out he in borderline Schizophenic...Sad really, but he said it was those voices that keep him sober, that they tell him what to do, and thay haven't told him to drink yet. More power to him I suppose. I am with youhowever, in that if I hear voices in my head they are not good and I have to b-line it for a meeting or I need to get another alcoholic on the phone. I do this to shut up the voices by being of service to others. If I lock myself in my room, I go nowhere but insane..Thats it out of me..last thing, my higher power doesn't talk to me, he shows me stuff that I wouldn't ordinarily see, good and bad, about myself and how I live my life.
Peace out, trinity
trinity

Postby Recovered » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:27 am

In thinking about our day we may face indecision.
We may not be able to determine which course to take.
Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought
or a decision. We relax and take it easy. We don't
struggle. We are often surprised how the right answers
come after we have tried this for a while.

This passage from the BB tells us that God will give us inspiration, or an intuitive thought.

This is exactly the way it is for me. No voices. No not one. God speaks to me through people, places, and things, but never via my head. I was told once that my head is broken. It does not work. I have come to rely on my intuition a great deal, but also the word of God.

Great topic!
Recovered

Postby Dallas » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:06 am

Hey Trinity and Recovered!!!

Welcome to the forums. Glad you're here.

I enjoy your posts. Keep 'em coming!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

God Talkin`

Postby recoveredbygrace » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:20 am

this is a good topic.

I have heard of that "small still voice" some people hear.I believe it is in my conscience thoughts rather than a actual voice like our human voices..
It don`t happen 100% of the time,but it does happen sometime during every day and the Big Book says it can be developed into a 6th sense.Some speakers have said "God gives us knowings"...interesting stuff
recoveredbygrace

Postby Recovered » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:45 am

Dallas wrote:Hey Trinity and Recovered!!!

Welcome to the forums. Glad you're here.

I enjoy your posts. Keep 'em coming!

Dallas

Thanks, Dallas! I appreciate the welcome!

Recovered
Recovered

Return to Sponsors Forum