- June in AA history

June in AA history

General discussions related to A.A. History.

June in AA history

Postby GeoffS » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:35 am

Jun 4, Frank Nathan Daniel Buchman was born in Pennsburg, PA.

June, the Norwich Cadets, as part of the VT National Guard, were called up to respond to the Mexican border troubles fomented by Pancho Villa. This caused Bill W and his classmates to be reinstated. The cadets were sent to Ft Ethan Allen for mobilization but returned to Norwich in a matter of weeks.

Jun 5, Dr Bob and Anne’s son, Robert (Smitty) was born

Jun/Jul, Bill and Lois departed for another six months of investigating businesses. They could have traveled first class on Bill’s expense account and $20,000 line of credit ($210,000 today). Instead, they drove a second-hand DeSoto Lois outfitted with curtains so that they could sleep along side of the road.

Jun-Sep, Lois took a 3-month leave of absence from Macy’s. She and Bill W spent the summer in VT at the home of Bill’s sister, Dorothy, who was vacationingin Europe with her family.

Jun, Bill W moved to Dr Bob’s house at the request of Anne Smith. Bill insisted on keeping two bottles of liquor in the kitchen to prove that he and Bob could live in the presence of liquor. Both worked with alcoholics and went to Oxford Group meetings on Wednesday nights at the home of T Henry and Clarace Williams. T Henry lost his job due to the proxy fight that brought Bill to Akron. Favored Scripture readings at meetings were The Sermon on the Mount, First Corinthians Chapter 13 and the Book of James. says Meetings were held at Dr Bob’s house and moved to the Williams’ house in late 1936 or early 1937)

Jun 10 (more likely Jun 17) after a multi-day binge on the way to, and at, an AMA convention in Atlantic City, NJ, a drunken Dr Bob was picked up at his office nurse’s house in Cuyahoga Falls. Bob went through a 3-day sobering up period with Bill W’s help. Scheduled for a surgery at City Hospital, Bob pronounced, “I am going through with this - I have placed both operation and myself in God’s hands. I’m going to do what it takes to get sober and stay that way.â€
GeoffS

Postby sunlight » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:02 pm

Thank you Geoff for your labor of love ( priceless today! :lol: )

Hooray for Founders' Day! Check your central office for a celebration in your area. Celebrate sobriety! :D
sunlight

Postby ccs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:32 am

Thank you Geoff for your service
I always look forward to your posts :wink: :wink: :wink:
ccs

Re: June in AA history

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:14 am

[quote="GeoffS"]Jun 10 (more likely Jun 17) after a multi-day binge on the way to, and at, an AMA convention in Atlantic City, NJ, a drunken Dr Bob was picked up at his office nurse’s house in Cuyahoga Falls. Bob went through a 3-day sobering up period with Bill W’s help. Scheduled for a surgery at City Hospital, Bob pronounced, “I am going through with this - I have placed both operation and myself in God’s hands. I’m going to do what it takes to get sober and stay that way.â€
Tim

Re: June in AA history

Postby Susan68 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:24 pm

[quote="Tim"][quote="GeoffS"]Jun 10 (more likely Jun 17) after a multi-day binge on the way to, and at, an AMA convention in Atlantic City, NJ, a drunken Dr Bob was picked up at his office nurse’s house in Cuyahoga Falls. Bob went through a 3-day sobering up period with Bill W’s help. Scheduled for a surgery at City Hospital, Bob pronounced, “I am going through with this - I have placed both operation and myself in God’s hands. I’m going to do what it takes to get sober and stay that way.â€
Susan68

Postby Dallas » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm in the right place! :lol: :lol:

Only an alcoholic could imagine someone performing surgery on their own butt after having a few drinks of confidence and courage... plus a few pills, to boot! "Hey! I can do all things man! I am the Higher Power!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, don't jump to the conclusion that I was referring to you... even though I almost made the mistake of writing "You're in the right place!" (fortunately, I was quick enough to change it... this time!) :wink: I was referring to me!!! :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Susan68 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Okay, I'm really laughing now. :lol: :lol: :lol: No, I didn't think it was talking about him performing surgery on himself! Upon first read I thought he was going in for surgery -- someone else performing surgery on him. It would not have occurred to me to think he would be doing surgery himself after having had a drink and a pill.

Nowadays I'd be referring that patient to a good medical malpractice attorney!!!
Susan68

Postby Dallas » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:44 pm

You didn't think that way? Heck, when I was new to AA, I would have thought "See... she didn't think that way! She said she's alcoholic! I must not be alcoholic! I think I'll drink!" :lol: :lol:

Then, I would have searched for the attorney! :lol: :lol:

And, the bondsman... and the doctor... but DEFINITELY NOT a SPONSOR!!! :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Susan68 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:53 pm

Dallas wrote:You didn't think that way? Heck, when I was new to AA, I would have thought "See... she didn't think that way! She said she's alcoholic! I must not be alcoholic! I think I'll drink!" :lol: :lol:

Then, I would have searched for the attorney! :lol: :lol:

And, the bondsman... and the doctor... but DEFINITELY NOT a SPONSOR!!! :lol:

Chuckling, chuckling, chuckling. :lol: :lol: :lol: I've really talked up the sponsor issue haven't I?
Susan68

Postby GeoffS » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:31 am

Poor old sponsors get a bad rap from us alkies, until we learn the value of having one, then we get to kind of like them.

I once heard an alkie in a meeting constantly moaning about how his sponsor didn't solve his problems.

Nowadays that same alkie talks about how his sponsor helps him solve his own problems.

I also get to pass on those ideas of guidance to help others...

Best 3 things i ever did in my life, shut up, got a home group, got a sponsor...in that order and luckily all on the one day.
GeoffS

Next

Return to A. A. History