- __How to find a sponsor. Good read!!

__How to find a sponsor. Good read!!

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Postby Dallas » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:36 pm

Angel123 wrote:But if you wanna know what its like, I can order you around anyways just for fun!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You go girl! You've definitely got it going on!

Slap me, bite me, chew me, beat me up and knock me around... give me orders!

I can take it!!! I'm used to it!!! I was born for pain!!!

I'm willing to CRAWL....... to any lengths!

Just give me sobriety!!!!!!!!!

You can practice on me and teach yourself to be one of those real hard-line Sponses'!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: __How to find a sponsor. Good read!!

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:00 pm

txsuperman wrote:"I have been asked often how to find a sponsor. My answer never varies. Get a sponsor who has experience in taking others through the 12 steps and identifies him/herself as someone who has recovered.
If someone says they are still "Recovering" politely pass, and keep looking until you find someone for whom the Program has actually worked. If someone is "Still recovering" then either whatever they are doing hasn't worked OR they may be trying to recover from an illness they haven’t’ got. In either case - you’re screwed.
Disregard how "Nice" or "Knowledgeable" the still recovering person seems. If you want to be that person's friend, fine - but do not permit yourself to fall under their sponsorship, unless they have recovered from alcoholism. "Not drinking" today does not count. YOU may NEVER drink again and this person’s method may KILL you - as earnest and nice as they seem.
Your sponsor will refer to him/herself as "RECOVERED"

He/she'll know EXACTLY what to do with you from there and you can trust that without reservation.

Do not let anyone sponsor you whose solution is "Don't drink and go to meetings", or "Just don't drink" or "One day at a time". These concepts are not part of our Program, but they are rampant never the less. If that is their solution, and it works for them, it may KILL you, if you are a real alcoholic as described in those first 43 pages of the Big Book. And THAT'S the ONLY description that counts in this Program -- not mine, yours, Dr, Phil’s or our family’s & friends -- not even the old-timer in the meeting who hasn’t cracked a Big Book in ten years other than to read at his turn at the old "Big Book meeting."

If a potential sponsor tells you aren't ready to take the steps, RUN! If anyone tells you they did it slowly, therefore so can you RUN! They may not be "one of us".

This is IMPORTANT-Take the 12 steps as fast as you possibly can. It IS a race. You must recover before the next first drink comes along, and don't let anyone tell you that THEY know when that is for you. You do not have to be prey to arrogance.They don’t know when YOUR next first drink will come along. No one does!
And then after you have worked the Program in the book, and the desire to drink has left, (That's a promise that it will), then you will be in a position to go find another alcoholic to work with as your sponsor has done and pass it on to another in the position you are in now."
-danny s

Great, I like the way you think :D
Silverbullet

Previous

Return to Sponsors Forum