- Untreated Alcoholism: What does it look like?

Untreated Alcoholism: What does it look like?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Untreated Alcoholism: What does it look like?

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:07 pm

Untreated Alcoholism: What does it look like? What are the signs?

It's obvious to spot untreated alcoholism -- when the alcoholic is drinking. How do you spot it when the alcoholic is sober?

In our A.A. meetings, we often hear talk about stinking thinking, the insanity of the next drink, character defects, fear, resentments, the physical allergy and phenomenon of craving, and how the body and mind of an alcoholic are different, the fear of relapse, the progressive nature of alcoholism, and how important it is for the alcoholic to stay physically sober.

One thing that I hear little talk about is the behavior and attitudes associated with untreated alcoholism -- how it affects the alcoholic and the other people who must be around them.

How can you spot it when you've got it?

The below two page Big Book page references, I believe, describe in a general way -- what it's like for an alcoholic of my-type, to live physically sober, and even going to A.A. meetings -- with untreated alcoholism.

-- Alcoholics Anonymous, page 52 wrote:We were having trouble with personal relationships,
we couldn’t control our emotional natures, we were
a prey to misery and depression, we couldn’t make a
living, we had a feeling of uselessness, we were full of
fear, we were unhappy, we couldn’t seem to be of real
help to other people —

[quote="-- Alcoholics Anonymous, page 82"]
The alcoholic is like a tornado roaring his way through
the lives of others. Hearts are broken. Sweet relationships
are dead. Affections have been uprooted. Selfish
and inconsiderate habits have kept the home in turmoil.
We feel a man is unthinking when he says that sobriety is
enough. He is like the farmer who came up out of his
cyclone cellar to find his home ruined. To his wife, he
remarked, “Don’t see anything the matter here, Ma. Ain’t
it grand the wind stopped blowin’?â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:23 pm

Well the way we identify out here is the if the person has not been drinking, he or she looks and acts "restless, irritable, and discontented".

It says that in the Doctor's Opinion. And it pretty much sums up their attiude. It really shows. And they do all those things that Dallas said on page 52 and 82.

"They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks—drinks which they see others taking with impunity."

To me that pretty well describes a "dry drunk".
garden variety

Postby rockingchair » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 pm

From time to time I have run across people that somehow were able to put the plug in the jug and just go on living life without doing anything else. They think they don't need AA, they can do it on their own, they don't need anybody else - I've found them to be angry, fighting everything and everybody, full of fear and too prideful to be able to admit their lives are a mess. They are mostly miserable tormented people. Simply stopping drinking made life better, but they are still unable to effectively meet whatever challenges life hands them.

Thank God I was not able to stop drinking without help. AA not only helped me put the plug in the jub but also gave me a set of tools - the Steps and the principles - that has turned my life around. I no longer have to be restless, irritable and discontented and miserable.
rockingchair

Postby anniemac » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:11 pm

Dallas, what you quoted from page 52, I've heard them referred to as "The Bedevilments"; I call them the "Anti-Promises", as they are exactly what the Promises promise relief from.

I like what both you and Paul posted from the Big Book. Great examples of where I can end up without daily maintenance of my spiritual condition.
anniemac

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery